Sunday, December 23, 2012

80 million years ago? Melancholy Baby



Melancholy

Once upon a time, not so long ago
I wanted to go to the movies
But my parents could not afford the Moving Pictures
So I stopped asking.

I wanted to go outside and play with the guys
You see I have four sisters
I had to be there for my sisters my parents said
I could go out every once and a while and play street ball.
People ask me why I don’t like sports
So I stopped asking.

I wanted a water gun
It was not that my mom was against violence in any way
I did not ask her that
I never thought to
It was a different time 80 million years ago
Kids ran around with toy guns
Poor kids used their index finger
Now only rich kids can play with guns on their computers
I stopped  asking why.

But I said Mom a water gun only cost a dime
She said I don’t have a dime
I grew out of the stage where I would then tell her
Just write a check
She would not answer.

We had conversations for days
But it still ended up she did not have a dime
So I stopped asking.

Now I am 59 years old
I can stand the pain
Instead it feels pretty damn good
I am used to it by now
It lets me know I am alive
It used to take a lot more than that
So please stop asking!

No comments:

Post a Comment